call to demonstrate after a new postponement of the agreement to end the crisis
Published on :
The signing of the framework agreement providing for a return to civilian-military power-sharing, a sine qua non for the resumption of international aid to Sudan, will not take place as planned on Thursday, civilians announced on Wednesday. call for demonstrations on this day which will mark the anniversary of anti-coup uprisings.
The agreement between civilians, soldiers and paramilitaries supposed to revive the democratic transition in Sudan after the putsch of 2021 is again postponed, civilians said on Wednesday evening April 5, calling for demonstrations on Thursday, the anniversary of anti-putsch uprisings.
Already postponed last week, the signing of the framework agreement providing for a return to power sharing between civilians and soldiers, a sine qua non for the resumption of international aid to the country, one of the poorest in the world, will not take place as planned on Thursday, said in a press release the historic civil bloc of the Forces of Freedom and Change (FLC).
“The signing has been postponed due to the resumption of talks between the military (…) on April 1 and 6”, indicates the text. “Negotiations have progressed on several points but one last question still needs to be finalized”, he continues, that, according to the experts, of the modalities of the integration of the paramilitaries of the Rapid Support Forces (FSR) into the regular troops.
Because it is no longer the conflict between civilians and soldiers that keeps Sudan deadlocked but the rivalry between the country’s de facto leader, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane, head of the army and author of the coup d State of October 25, 2021, and his second, General Mohamed Hamdane Daglo, known as “Hemedti”, at the head of the ex-militiamen of the Darfur war now grouped together in the FSR.
Two major anniversaries
The date of April 6 also corresponds to two major anniversaries for the civil movement in Sudan: that of revolts which in 1985 then in 2019 were 34 years apart, bringing down two putschist presidents.
On Thursday, the FLC once again called on all Sudanese to march “peacefully” through all the provinces for “freedom, peace and justice”, against the military and “the return of the old regime”, the Islamic dictatorship. military of Omar al-Bashir, overthrown in 2019, many of whose executives returned to their posts in the administration thanks to the putsch of 2021.
Anti-coup demonstrations have not stopped since this coup, despite a crackdown that left 125 dead according to pro-democracy doctors. In anticipation of this mobilization, the authorities declared April 6 a non-working day and a major military deployment was visible on Wednesday in various districts of Khartoum and its suburbs, notably blocking the bridges over the Nile, witnesses reported.