Lawyers said on Wednesday (April 5) that Prince Harry is expected to testify in a London courtroom in June in one of his phone hacking cases against the papers. British tabloids.
The trial of the case involving the Duke of Sussex and three others against The Mirror publisher will begin May 9 at the High Court and last six to seven weeks.
While the trial begins three days after the coronation of his father, King Charles III, Harry is not expected to testify until early or mid-June, according to a preliminary schedule of witnesses. It is unclear if Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, attended the coronation.
Harry’s testimony will be his second appearance at the Supreme Court in three months after a surprise appearance last week in a similar case.
Harry attended parts of three days of hearings to see if the phone hacking suit he brought with him Elton John, actresses Elizabeth Hurley and Sadie Frost, and others survived a legal challenge by publisher of The Daily Mail or not.
His presence in court because of the dense legal arguments shows how important the case is to Harry in his broader battle against the British press. He has several lawsuits against the media and says he wants to reform the tabloid press as part of his life’s work.
British tabloid publishers have paid hundreds of millions of dollars to settle complaints from more than a decade ago that journalists and private investigators employed by them hacked the voicemails of celebrities celebrities, politicians and others in the public eye.
The lawsuit against Mirror Group Newspaper alleges that Harry’s voicemail messages were intercepted.
Mirror publishers are protesting the claims and arguing they came out too late.
The May trial was a test case of four plaintiffs against the Mirror among a larger group of celebrities who sued the publisher.
Other claimants are Coronation Street actress Nikki Sanderson, the ex-wife of comedian Paul Whitehouse, Fiona Wightman and actor Michael Turner.